Innovation Idea Award and Scholarship
The PA Leadership and Learning Academy (PALLA), is proud to announce the launch of the PALLA Innovation Award and Scholarship.
With this award, PALLA will recognize a team of forward-thinking PA students, faculty, staff and clinicians who will propose an innovative solution to a healthcare or health education challenge.
This year, the award focuses on alleviating the shortage of clinical training sites. Teams will submit a proposal (see below) detailing a plan to address the challenge of finding and retaining suitable clinical training sites and preceptors for PA programs.
Teams selected as finalists by the evaluation committee will pitch their idea to an audience of healthcare education and innovation experts. The winning team will receive an award to be divided equally between the team members in form of a scholarship.* Student team members will have the opportunity to work with a team of mentors on a plan to disseminate the innovation.**
- This is a team-based award comprised of at least two team members
- One team member must be a currently enrolled student in good academic standing from one of the PA programs within the state of Maryland
- Additional team members can be Maryland PA students, Maryland PAs in practice, faculty/staff members from Maryland PA programs, or other experts fields connected to the proposed idea (PALLA faculty and staff members are not eligible)
- One team member must be a current MdAPA member.
- At least one team member should plan to attend award ceremony at MdAPA conference in Sept. 2021
- Complete an online application form (see below)
- Along with the form, attach a proposal (750 words, maximum) describing an idea to address the challenge of finding and retaining suitable clinical training sites and preceptors for PA students.
The proposal must address the following:
- What is the specific gap or challenge related to finding and retaining suitable clinical training sites and preceptors for PA students that this proposal would address? What is the impact of this gap/challenge on the PA profession in Maryland and nationwide?
- What is the proposed solution? Why do you think it will work? What evidence supports your idea (either from the PA profession or another sphere)?
- How will this idea promote equity, diversity, and inclusion within the PA profession and/or PA education? Alternatively, how might this idea reduce health disparities or improve access to healthcare among traditionally disadvantaged groups?
- What is needed to implement this idea (e.g., staffing, budget, materials, training, communications, etc.)?
- How will you measure the impact of your idea? How will you know if it has been successful? How could this idea be sustained over time? How will this innovative idea be disseminated?
Questions? Email PALLA@umaryland.edu
Interested in applying? Please click here.
The application cycle closes July 15, 2021. Participants will be notified in August if they have been selected as a finalist.
*Award of the scholarship is subject to federal and institutional policies.
**Innovative Ideas submitted may be used by PALLA in efforts to assist clinical educational initiatives.