GRC participants will have the opportunity to be considered for two special awards in Technology Commercialization or Geriatrics and Gerontology. See below for a description of the awards, including who is eligible for consideration.
1. The Geriatrics and Gerontology Education and Research Program (GGEAR) and the Center for Research on Aging (ORC) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore will be sponsoring a special award in aging research at this year’s Graduate Research Conference. Students who wish to be considered for this award should submit an abstract on either completed research or research in progress in the field of aging.
2. The Graduate Translational Research (GTR) Award promotes the mission of University of Maryland (UM) Ventures, Baltimore to translate basic research outcomes into real-world applications. Presented in collaboration with the Graduate Research Conference (GRC), this award recognizes important translational research performed by a UMB graduate student or postdoctoral fellow.
The GTR Award recipient will receive a $500 check and a certificate of recognition at the GRC awards reception.
Applicants will be evaluated on their GRC oral or poster presentation in addition to a separate, written application for the GTR Award.
Written applications must include:
- An outline of the focus and potential uses of the research, including how the research might ultimately be exploited to develop a product (e.g., drug, device, diagnostic, etc.) for public use and beneft.
- A summary of the original aspects of the research project.
- The current stage and future plans for the research.
- The applicant's name, UMB e-mail address, a phone number where they may be reached during business hours, and the name of their research advisor.
- Applications should not exceed two pages (12-point font, single-spacing, 1-inch margins).
The GTR Award application must be emailed to Dr. Nancy Cowger, Director of Licensing for UM Ventures, Baltimore, at firstname.lastname@example.org by March. 12, 2021 with the subject line “Application for Graduate Translational Research Award.”