Applications are currently closed and will open back up in December.
More details about the incubator can be found below. If you have any questions, email Taylor DeBoer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Student Venture Incubator is open to current UMB students
- The project must be fleshed out and have begun the journey of implementation. Applicants can have an established business, but it is not required.
- Make sure to attach a short pitch deck (max 5 slides) or brief video (2-4 minutes) describing the project to the form. The videos should be sent to Taylor DeBoer at email@example.com
- There is no application fee to apply
- Applicants are accepted twice per year, in the spring and fall semester
- Accepted entrepreneurs or businesses do not give up equity
- Individual space needs will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Each student business will be assigned mentor(s) based on the business industry/experience
- Specific recommendations for mentor pairings will be made, subject to the student’s approval
- Student entrepreneurs will develop and commit to specific milestones and timelines to advance their venture
- These milestones will be set between the mentor and the student entrepreneur
- Milestones must be met in order for the students to continue in the program
- Failure to meet milestones could lead to dismissal from the program
- The Intellectual Property Entrepreneurship Clinic (IPEC) through the Carey School of Law at UMB. IPEC provides pro bono legal counsel to aspiring entrepreneurs with IP law concerns.
- The Maryland Small Business Development Center (SBDC) has counselors on campus that provide pro bono small business advice to business owners.
- The Graduate Research Innovation District, “the Grid”, serves an innovation hub and resource for students, faculty, staff, and community members interested in entrepreneurship and innovation. The Grid has various programs and events that student entrepreneurs accepted into the incubator will have access to:
- Lunch-and-learn programs
- Student networking events
- Career Lab
- Pitch showcase celebrating student entrepreneurs (application process)
- Networking and discussion with other students interested in entrepreneurship