Request additional information about the Scientific and Medical Entrepreneurship program.
This unique 12 credit graduate certificate provides the student with an opportunity to learn the process of creating valuable intellectual property (IP) and moving it into commercial application. This process begins with the creation of IP, continues to its licensing and the formation of a venture, through the growth of the venture, and culminates with the monetization of that venture.
While the coursework focuses on IP is likely to be created at UMB, we welcome students who are working on IP no matter what the source. Software, engineered products, and consumer products are all considered in program along with technologies more normally associated with UMB. Course content will be applicable to IP created at universities, Federal Labs, non-profit research institutes, and other similar institutions.
Applications for admission for the Fall 2021 are now open.
Explore Certificate Objectives
This certificate will be useful to a wide variety of students who either want to accelerate their careers or better position themselves in the innovation economy, including;
- Graduate students and post-docs who want to better understand an innovation-based career path.
- Entrepreneur support organization team members who need to be conversant in the tech transfer start-up pathway.
- Individuals seeking or just starting a career in tech transfer who want an integrated overview of the entire IP-based venture creation process.
- Researchers who want to better understand the process for commercializing their technology.
- Entrepreneurs who want to better understand the challenges of commercializing licensed IP.
Your classmates will most likely be current practicing PhD or master’s students and professionals with a health, scientific, business or medical background.
The Biomedical Entrepreneurship certificate is a stackable credential that can be applied toward a Master of Science in Health and Social Innovation. The 36-credit MS Health and Social Innovation program is available as a hybrid degree combining elements of online and in-class learning and can be completed by a working professional in as little as 24 months. Upon the successful completion of the certificate, all 12 of the credits are completely transferrable to the MS Health and Social Innovation program. This means that when you finish your certificate, if you choose you'll be 24 credits away from a Master's degree!
Check out the curriculum for the MS Health and Social Innovation.
If you prefer to complete the Master’s and certificate coursework concurrently, please submit your application for the Master’s program.