Please read all instructions below before completing your online application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete the online application.
To apply, you must submit the online application and all required documents to the Graduate School along with the required nonrefundable application fee. The Graduate School will not process or review an application until the application fee is paid.
All of your information is transmitted through a secure server and is kept fully confidential. Your application information and accompanying credentials are reviewed by faculty admissions representatives of the department to which you are applying as well as by members of the Graduate School staff.
- Click the 'Apply Now' button above to create a Log-in ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN). Select "First Time Applicants Click Here.") Your Log-in ID and PIN enable you to return to your application as many times as you wish before your final submission to the Graduate School.
- Select your desired degree program by selecting the appropriate 'Applicant Type' from the drop-down menu. (All Graduate School programs are listed under 'Grad.') Select the appropriate 'Admissions Term.'
- Follow the online instructions for completing the remainder of the application; be sure to complete each section of the application under the 'Application Checklist.'
- If you are applying to more than one graduate program you must exit SURFs and then log back in using your original Log-in ID and PIN; select 'New' under the Application Menu and then complete another application selecting a different desired degree program ('Application Type'). You must pay an additional application fee for each program applied to.
- Be sure to use the same Log-in ID and PIN when applying to more than one program; do not apply for the same program twice.
You may stop and save your work to continue at a later time while completing the online application. Please note, however, your application will not be reviewed or considered until it is submitted successfully, nor until all required items are received and the $75 fee is paid.
Before you click the ‘Submit’ button of your online application print each page for your records. Write down your Log-in ID and PIN and keep them in a secure place for future reference when checking the status of your application.
Graduate School Requirements - Before completing the online application, please review Graduate School admissions requirements and guidelines in the "Admissions" section of the Graduate Catalog here - http://graduate.umaryland.edu/policies/
Program Specific Requirments - Many programs have additional requirements such as an interview or a CV. It is important that you contact the office of the program to which you are applying to about additional admission requirements. Failure to do so may result in applications not being considered. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS 2017.
In addition to completing the online application, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission:
Send to the Graduate School
- Transcripts - An official transcript from every institution previously attended or currently attending must be submitted in a sealed envelope, as prepared by the sending institution. Electronic transcripts from University System of Maryland institutions will be accepted in lieu of official, sealed transcript.
Transcripts may also be provided through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
Transcripts may be sent to:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
The Graduate School
620 W. Lexington St., 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Official electronic transcripts may be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letters of recommendation – Master’s and PhD degree program applicants must provide three letters of recommendation from professors or others who can attest to the quality of your academic performance and scholastic potential. If your letter of recommendation process is not managed within the online application, you must provide your letters on the online form provided for this purpose.
Letters of Recommendation are not required for the Graduate School's online Certificate programs.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports (International Applicants Only) - Applicants from outside the US are required to demonstrate English proficiency. The Graduate School accepts either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Minimum required scores are 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, and 7.0 on the IELTS. Scores must be sent directly from either TOEFL (please use ETS institution code #5848) or the IELTS agency to the Graduate School.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – Master’s and PhD degree program applicants must provide of scores earned on the GRE General Test (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing scores). Score reports must be sent directly from the testing agency to us; the UMB Graduate School’s institution code for the GRE is # 5848.
The GRE General Test is required for the Implementation and Dissemination Science certificate, but is not required for the remaining Graduate School online Certificate programs.
- Essay - Your essay/goals statement may be uploaded or included with the online application (SURFS). The statement should be between 300- to 500-words and outline your goals and objectives in pursuing graduate study.
- Resume or CV - A Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume is required by most graduate programs. Your CV may be uploaded as part of the online application for admission or it may be sent directly to the program administrator of your desired program.
- Application for in-state status classification (Maryland residents only) - If you wish to be considered for “in-state” residency status for admission and tuition purposes you must complete an Application for In-State Classification and submit it to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
While you may check the status and progress of your application online, you may not make further modifications (changes, additions, etc.) to it online once it has been electronically submitted to the Graduate School. Any corrected or additional information needs to be sent to the Graduate School via postal mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again.