Students who desire to take graduate level courses for personal or professional enrichment – but who do not necessarily want to enter a graduate degree program at UMB – may apply to enroll as a Coursework Only (non-degree) student.
About Coursework Only
- Coursework Only students may take a maximum of two (2) graduate-level courses, or one (1) course if the course is affiliated with a certificate program. Exceptions to these limits may be considered only by the Graduate School and the affiliated program or department.
- Coursework Only enrollment status does not guarantee future admission into a Graduate School degree program. If you are admitted to a Graduate School degree program at a later date, courses completed in this status may be applied to the degree upon program or department approval.
- Degree-seeking students get priority registration; some programs/departments do not permit coursework only enrollment or registration.
- Coursework Only students are expected to abide by Graduate School policies related to academic standing and progression, and student conduct. Students in this status are not eligible for financial aid, fellowships, or graduate assistantships.
Important notice: CWO/non-degree students are billed at the same rate assessed campus-based, master’s degree-level students. These tuition and fee rates apply whether the student is taking an online course or a course based at the UMB campus.
- Complete the Online Application here and submit the non-refundable application fee. Select Grad School Non-degree Enrollment from the drop-down menu.
- Complete the Application for In-State Classification if you are claiming in-state (Maryland) residency for tuition purposes
- Upload your transcripts and a professional vitae/resume to the Graduate School. Recommendations and GRE’s are not required.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited institution or equivalent education and training from a foreign college or university is required. International applicants in the United States whose immigration status permits non-degree enrollment must meet the language proficiency requirements of the Graduate School via the TOEFL or the IELTS.
- Visiting students are degree-seeking graduate students at other universities. Besides the Coursework Only Application and the fee, visiting students must provide written certification from their home institution's graduate dean that they are in good standing in a graduate degree program.
*Individuals interested in public health coursework (specifically courses beginning with the prefixes PH and PREV) select “MPH – Coursework Only” from the online application drop-down.
*Individuals interested in nursing coursework (specifically courses beginning with the prefixes NDNP, NRSG, NURS) select “NURS – Coursework Only” from the online application drop-down.