The joint Graduate Council oversees the joint academic and research resources of University of Maryland Baltimore and the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
Interested in Joining?
Overview and Purpose ▾
The Council of Graduate Schools notes that graduate program review has five general purposes: quality assurance, quality improvement...
accountability, identification of strategies for improvement, and provide the institution with information for prioritization of resources. Reviews share certain key characteristics:
- Program review is evaluative, not just descriptive. It requires academic judgments about the quality of the program and the adequacy of its resources. It goes beyond assessment of minimum standards to subjective evaluations of quality by peers and recognized experts in the discipline or field.
- Review of graduate programs is forward-looking; it is directed toward improvement of the program, not simply assessment of its current status. It makes specific recommendations for future changes, as part of the long-range plans of the institution, the department, and other coordinating units.
- Programs being reviewed are scrutinized on the bases of academic strengths and weaknesses, not on their ability to produce funds for the institution or generate development for the state. Finances and organizational issues are relevant, but only as they affect the quality of the academic program.
- Program review is an objective process. It asks graduate programs to engage in self-studies that assess, as objectively as possible, their own programs. It brings in faculty from other institutions to review the self-studies and to make their own evaluations.
- Graduate program review is an independent process, distinct from any other review. Data collection and parts of the self-study may often serve a number of review purposes. However, to be effective, graduate program review must be a unique, identifiable process that stands on its own, draws its own set of conclusions, and directs its recommendations to the only individuals with the power to improve graduate programs: the faculty and administrators of the institution.
- Program review results in action. Based on the reviewers’ comments and recommendations, as well as the program faculty’s response to the review report, the institution develops and agrees on a plan to implement the desired changes according to a specific timetable.
Incorporating these characteristics, successful graduate program review answers the following questions:
- Is the program advancing the state of the discipline?
- Is its teaching and training of students effective?
- Does the program meet the institution’s goals?
- How is it assessed by experts in the field?
At UMB Graduate Program Review includes an internal self-study and an on-site review by an external site team.
Nikita Aggarwal, Graduate Student Association
John Basile, School of Dentistry
Erin Golembewski, Sr. Associate Dean of Graduate School
Mathangi Gopalakrishnan, School of Pharmacy
Bill Jackson, School of Medicine
Bethany Lee, School of Social Work
Eun-Shim Nahm, School of Nursing
Danya Qato, School of Pharmacy
Abraham Schneider, School of Dentistry
Roger Ward, Dean of Graduate School
Niya Werts, Graduate School
Jill Barr, Sr. Associate Dean, Graduate Enrollment
Adam Bargteil, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Sebastian Deffner, Physics
Jeffrey Halverson, Associate Dean, Graduate School
Minjoung Kyoung, Chemistry & Biochemistry
Jennifer Maher, English
Andy Miller, Geography & Environmental Systems
Lisa Portis Morgan, Assistant Dean, Graduate Programs
Steve Pitts, Psychology
Ethan Post, GSA Representative
Nirmalya Roy, Engineering and Information Technology
Janet Rutledge, Dean of Graduate School
Michelle Starz-Gaiano, Biological Sciences
Denise Atkinson, UMBC
Shirl Curtis, UMBC
Lisa Morgan, UMBC
Jamila Savage, UMB
2020-2021 Meeting Dates & Minutes ▾
2020-2021 Graduate Council Meeting Dates
September 10, 2020
October 1, 2020
November 5, 2020
December 3, 2020
February 4, 2021
March 4, 2021
April 1, 2021
May 6, 2021
September 2020 Minutes
October 2020 Minutes
November 2020 Minutes
December 2020 Minutes
February 2021 Minutes
March 2021 Minutes
April 2021 Minutes
May 2021 Minutes
2021-2022 Meeting Dates & Minutes ▾
2021-2022 Meeting Dates & Minutes
September 9, 2021
October 7, 2021
November 4, 2021
December 2, 2021
February 3, 2022
March 3, 2022
April 7, 2022
May 5, 2022
September 2021 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
October 2021 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
November 2021 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
December 2021 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
February 2022 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
March 2022 Graduate Council Minutes
2022-2023 Meeting Dates & Minutes ▾
September 8, 2022
October 6, 2022
November 3, 2022
December 1, 2022
February 2, 2023
March 2, 2023
April 6, 2023
May 4, 2023
September 2022 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes
October 2022 Graduate Council Meeting Minutes