Students who desire to take graduate level courses for personal or professional enrichment – but who do not necessarily want to enter a graduate degree program at UMB – may apply to enroll as a non-degree (coursework only) student.
- Students must complete an Application for Non-Degree Admission accompanied by unofficial transcripts and/or a professional vitae/resume. Official transcripts, letters of recommendation and GRE score reports are not required.
- Applicants for admission to non-degree status must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited institution with a B or 3.0 grade point average or hold equivalent education and training from a foreign college or university. International applicants in the United States whose immigration status permits them to enroll on a non-degree basis must meet the language proficiency requirements of the Graduate School, i.e., the TOEFL or the IELTS.
- Students applying for non-degree status must also obtain approval to enroll from the graduate program offering the applicant’s desired course(s).
- Students admitted under this status you may enroll for and complete a maximum of two (2) graduate-level courses (one (1) for certificate students). Exceptions to these course limits may be considered only by the Graduate School and the program/department in which the student desires to study.
- Enrollment in the non-degree status does not guarantee future admission into a degree program. In the event that a student is admitted to a Graduate School degree program at a later date, courses completed in the non-degree status may be applied to the degree program contingent upon program approval.
- Non-degree students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average and abide by UMB rules, regulations and policies related to academic and student conduct. Students in this status are not eligible for financial aid, fellowships, or appointments as graduate teaching or research assistants. Other services, such as parking and library privileges, are the same as those accorded to other graduate students.
- The non-degree status includes the sub-category of “visiting students.” Visiting students are degree-seeking graduate students at other universities. Besides the Application for Non-Degree Admission and the fee, visiting students must provide written certification from their home institution's graduate dean that they are in good standing in a graduate-degree program. This certification must accompany the application form.
Non-degree (coursework only) Applicants: Apply via the 'Apply Now' link below. Select 'GRAD - Course Work Only' from the drop down after logging in. Maryland residents must complete the 'Residency Form' below and send it to the Graduate School.