Graduate Certificate Programs
Please read all instructions below before completing your online application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete the online application.
To apply, you must submit the online application and all required documents to the Graduate School along with the required nonrefundable application fee. The Graduate School will not process or review an application until the application fee is paid.
Applying to graduate school can be a daunting task that requires considerable preparation and organization on your part. A thorough review of our admissions section, however, can help you navigate this process.
All of your information is transmitted through a secure server and is kept fully confidential. Your application information and accompanying credentials are reviewed by faculty admissions representatives of the department to which you are applying as well as by members of the Graduate School staff.
- Click the 'Apply Now' button above to create a Log-in ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN). Select "First Time Applicants Click Here.") Your Log-in ID and PIN enable you to return to your application as many times as you wish before your final submission to the Graduate School.
- Select your desired degree program by selecting the appropriate 'Applicant Type' from the drop-down menu. (All Graduate School programs are listed under 'Grad.') Select the appropriate 'Admissions Term.'
- Follow the online instructions for completing the remainder of the application; be sure to complete each section of the application under the 'Application Checklist.'
- If you are applying to more than one graduate program you must exit SURFs and then log back in using your original Log-in ID and PIN; select 'New' under the Application Menu and then complete another application selecting a different desired degree program ('Application Type'). You must pay an additional application fee for each program applied to.
- Be sure to use the same Log-in ID and PIN when applying to more than one program; do not apply for the same program twice.
You may stop and save your work to continue at a later time while completing the online application. Please note, however, your application will not be reviewed or considered until it is submitted successfully, nor until all required items are received and the $75 fee is paid.
Before you click the ‘Submit’ button of your online application print each page for your records. Write down your Log-in ID and PIN and keep them in a secure place for future reference when checking the status of your application.
Graduate School Requirements - Before completing the online application, please review Graduate School admissions requirements and guidelines in the "Admissions" section of the Graduate Catalog here - http://graduate.umaryland.edu/policies/
Program Specific Requirments - Many programs have additional requirements such an an interview or a CV. It is important that you contact the office of the program to which you are applying about additional admission requirements. Failure to do so many result in applications not being considered. See program-specific requirements.
In addition to completing the online application, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission:
Send to the Graduate School
- One (1) set of official transcripts or marks sheets from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended.
Each transcript should bear the signature of the registrar and the seal of the granting institution and should include the years of attendance, courses taken, grades received, class standing, and the degree, diploma, or certificate conferred. Although photocopies of credentials are acceptable for initial reviews, the Graduate School must receive official versions of all academic credentials before admitting students. Transcripts may be requested directly through your degree-granting institution(s), or through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
Transcripts may be sent to:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
The Graduate School
620 W. Lexington St., 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Official electronic transcripts may be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to email@example.com
- Application for in-state status classification (Maryland residents only).
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports (International Applicants Only).
International applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language must be sent directly from either TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) agencies. Minimum required scores are 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, and 7.0 on the IELTS. All official scores must be sent directly from either TOEFL (please use institution code #5848) or IELTS to the Graduate School.
- $75 (US) Non-refundable application fee.
This fee can be paid online or sent directly to the Graduate School at the address above.
Note: GRE scores are not required for admission to this certificate program. An admission interview (via phone or Skype) may be requested.
- Statement of Academic Goals and Research Interests (pdf) This essay can be pasted into the online application. If you do not apply online, it must be sent directly to the graduate program to which you are seeking admission. The statement should be between 300 and 500 words, and should outline your goals and objectives for pursuing graduate study.
Send to the program director of your desired certificate program
- Resume or CV
Contact Information for Program Directors
To check on the status and progress of your application, log back into SURFS. Make sure you use the same Log-in ID and PIN each time you login.
While you may check the status and progress of your application online, you may not make further modifications (changes, additions, etc.) to it online once it has been electronically submitted to the Graduate School. Any corrected or additional information needs to be sent to the Graduate School via postal mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again.