Please read all instructions below before completing your online application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete the online application.
To apply, you must submit the online application and all required documents to the Graduate School along with the required nonrefundable application fee. The Graduate School will not process or review an application until the application fee is paid.
All of your information is transmitted through a secure server and is kept fully confidential. Your application information and accompanying credentials are reviewed by faculty admissions representatives of the department to which you are applying as well as by members of the Graduate School staff.
- Click the 'Apply Now' button above to create a Log-in ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN). Select "First Time Applicants Click Here.") Your Log-in ID and PIN enable you to return to your application as many times as you wish before your final submission to the Graduate School.
- Select your desired degree program by selecting the appropriate 'Applicant Type' from the drop-down menu. (All Graduate School programs are listed under 'Grad.') Select the appropriate 'Admissions Term.'
- Follow the online instructions for completing the remainder of the application; be sure to complete each section of the application under the 'Application Checklist.'
- If you are applying to more than one graduate program you must exit SURFs and then log back in using your original Log-in ID and PIN; select 'New' under the Application Menu and then complete another application selecting a different desired degree program ('Application Type'). You must pay an additional application fee for each program applied to.
- Be sure to use the same Log-in ID and PIN when applying to more than one program; do not apply for the same program twice.
You may stop and save your work to continue at a later time while completing the online application. Please note, however, your application will not be reviewed or considered until it is submitted successfully, nor until all required items are received and the $75 fee is paid.
Before you click the ‘Submit’ button of your online application print each page for your records. Write down your Log-in ID and PIN and keep them in a secure place for future reference when checking the status of your application.
Graduate School Requirements - Before completing the online application, please review Graduate School admissions requirements and guidelines in the "Admissions" section of the Graduate Catalog here - http://graduate.umaryland.edu/policies/
Program Specific Requirements - Many programs have additional requirements such an interview or a CV. It is important that you contact the office of the program to which you are applying about additional admission requirements. Failure to do so many result in applications not being considered. See APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS 2017.
In addition to completing the online application information, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission:
Send to the Graduate School
- One (1) set of official transcripts or marks sheets from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended - Each transcript should bear the signature of the registrar and the seal of the granting institution and should include the years of attendance, courses taken, grades received, class standing, and the degree, diploma, or certificate conferred. Although photocopies of credentials are acceptable for initial reviews, the Graduate School must receive official versions of all academic credentials before admitting students. Transcripts may be requested directly through your degree-granting institution(s), or through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
Official standardized score reports (GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) - Have the testing agency send official scores directly to the Graduate School. Our institution code is #5848 for GRE & TOEFL. The Graduate School normally requires the submission of scores earned on the Graduate Record Examination General Test (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing scores). See the program description in the catalog to learn which examinations you must take for admission for your desired degree.
- The GRE General Test is not required for the Graduate School's online Certificate programs.
- Application for in-state status classification (Maryland residents only) here - http://www.umaryland.edu/registrar/residency/application/
- $75 (US) Non-refundable application fee can be paid online or sent directly to Graduate School
Send to your desired program of study
- 3 letters of recommendation - You must provide three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors or others who can attest to the quality of your academic performance and scholastic potential. Your full name, the semester or session for which admission is desired, and the program to which you are applying must be indicated on the letter or form provided for this purpose. These letters must be sent directly to the program to which you are applying.
- PDF version
- Online Version – Applicants must copy this URL http://cf.umaryland.edu/graduate/letter_of_recommendation/ and send it to their recommenders to complete the online form as instructed
- Your Essay/Statement of Academic Goals and Research Interests must be pasted in the online application. If you do not apply online, it must be sent directly to the graduate program to which you are seeking admission. The statement should be between 300- to 500-words and outline your goals and objectives in pursuing graduate study.
Letters of recommendation, and resumes and vitas are to be mailed directly to the program or department to which you are applying. Application fees (if not paid online), official transcript/mark sheets, and official test score reports must be mailed directly to the Graduate School.
To check on the status and progress of your application, log back into SURFS. Make sure you use the same Log-in ID and PIN each time you login.
While you may check the status and progress of your application online, you may not make further modifications (changes, additions, etc.) to it online once it has been electronically submitted to the Graduate School. Any corrected or additional information needs to be sent to the Graduate School via postal mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again.